1.05.2015

The Leveller


HarperTeen
June 2015
Nixy Bauer is a self-made Leveller. Her job? Dragging kids out of virtual reality and back to their parents in the real world. It’s normally easy cash, but Nixy’s latest mission is fraught with real danger, intrigue, and romance.

Nixy Bauer is used to her classmates being very, very unhappy to see her. After all, she’s a bounty hunter in a virtual reality gaming world. Kids in the MEEP, as they call it, play entirely with their minds, while their bodies languish in a sleeplike state on the couch. Irritated parents, looking to wrench their kids back to reality, hire Nixy to jump into the game and retrieve them.

But when the game’s billionaire developer loses track of his own son in the MEEP, Nixy is in for the biggest challenge of her bounty-hunting career. Wyn Salvador isn’t some lazy kid looking to escape his homework: Wyn does not want to be found. And he’s left behind a suicide note. Nixy takes the job but quickly discovers that Wyn’s not hiding—he’s being held inside the game against his will. But who is holding him captive, and why?

Nixy and Wyn attempt to fight their way out of a mind game unlike any they’ve encountered, and the battle brings them closer than either could have imagined. But when the whole world is virtual, how can Nixy possibly know if her feelings are real?

Gamers and action fans of all types will dive straight into the MEEP, thanks to Julia Durango’s cinematic storytelling. A touch of romance adds some heart to Nixy’s vivid, multidimensional journey through Wyn’s tricked-out virtual city, and constant twists keep readers flying through to the breathtaking end.  



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Buy the book

If your local bookstore does not have this book on the shelf, they should be able to order it for you. To find an independent bookseller near you, check 
IndieBound (US only).


You can also order it directly from HarperTeen or online retailers like Amazon and Barnes & Noble

9 comments:

  1. My daughter, 11, chose this book and offered it to me to read. I read it thinking we can discuss it when she's done. I work in the video game industry. How you portray the kick-butt female protagonist is fantastic. You subtlety break down many gender stereotypes found in the industry. Don't want to spoil... But I especially like how Nix displays her avatar and her slow realization of her mother's contribution to the Meep. Nicely done! Great book for Tweens and Teens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janean,

      Thank you so much for the kind words! They mean a lot to me, especially given your work in the industry. So glad you enjoyed the book!

      Delete
  2. Hi! I started to read the LEVELLER last week and I absolutely love it! I am a huge reader and I even write some books of my own. I was wondering if you are going to write a sequel?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree! I read this book in a day! It was amazing, and had just the right levels of science fiction, action and adventure, teenage love and video games! I would love a sequel to this and would read it right away!

      Delete
  3. I chose this book for one of my novels in my eighth grade language arts class because it deals with a virtual reality game world. It is filled with adventure, suspense, and a little romance. Julia develops a complex plot with a complex protagonist and I couldn't put the book down. Read it over Christmas break! Thank you, Julia, for meeting teens where they are. Looking forward to your visit in our town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my name is Grace.
    Every year i buy books for hoilday and i chose this one. Once i read it i couldnt stop i stayed up reading it and finished it in less than a day! I thought it was Chang because on the page where nixy was saying how he is always a step ahead that was when I twigged it was him and plus he told Nixy not to do it and when at the end it was like Nixy come alone I was like it is him! Anyway lol im such a book worm. I love this book is there going to be a sequel? If so I would love to know when. This book should 100% be a movie. I would watch it as a actress/singer/dancer my self i act what is happening in the book once i read it (i know im sooo weird i just love books and movies sooo much there just so magical! )
    I want to become a successful author (im 13) i have so many story ideas i just need some advice and tips. How do i make it so gripping? How do i make it so magical? How do i make others like it? Any advice or tips? Anyway the book is amazing and I love how the lead is a girl (Go girl power I love how it makes us seem more strong) apart from the fallng in love bit 😂
    Thanks,
    Grace
    P. S. My email is grridgeway@gmail.com if you want to reply on that xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my name is Grace.
    Every year i buy books for hoilday and i chose this one. Once i read it i couldnt stop i stayed up reading it and finished it in less than a day! I thought it was Chang because on the page where nixy was saying how he is always a step ahead that was when I twigged it was him and plus he told Nixy not to do it and when at the end it was like Nixy come alone I was like it is him! Anyway lol im such a book worm. I love this book is there going to be a sequel? If so I would love to know when. This book should 100% be a movie. I would watch it as a actress/singer/dancer my self i act what is happening in the book once i read it (i know im sooo weird i just love books and movies sooo much there just so magical! )
    I want to become a successful author (im 13) i have so many story ideas i just need some advice and tips. How do i make it so gripping? How do i make it so magical? How do i make others like it? Any advice or tips? Anyway the book is amazing and I love how the lead is a girl (Go girl power I love how it makes us seem more strong) apart from the fallng in love bit 😂
    Thanks,
    Grace
    P. S. My email is grridgeway@gmail.com if you want to reply on that xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. still no news on when #2 is coming out? can anyone else find any release dates?

    ReplyDelete